Margadarshi Scholarship scheme is the Biomedical Research Fellowship Program launched by the Wellcome Trust/ DBT India Alliance. The major purpose of the fellowship program is to encourage established biomedical scientists ( basic science researchers, veterinarians, clinicians and public health researchers) who already lead their own research in India or overseas, to lead and nucleate a cutting edge research program in India. Fellows are provided research related expenses, a competitive salary, as well as funds for international travel etc.
- Research Fellowship
- Wellcome Trust/ DBT India Alliance
- Biomedical Scientists
The Margadarshi Scholarship is for five years‚ and provides:
- Generous personal support for the Fellow
- Salary support for personnel‚ which may include Assistant Professors
- Equipment‚ animals and consumables
- Funds to attend scientific gatherings‚ for collaborative visits and to organize meetings
- Overheads for the Host Institution
Typically‚ the upper limit for an award will be INR 15 crores.
This includes the costs requested by the applicant and the host institution‚ as well as the India Alliance’s contributions on the Fellow’s personal support and institutional overhead charges./
Costs requested by the applicant should be commensurate with their proposed program and should be fully justified in the application. Inadequate justifications may result in costs being revised.
Detailed budgets are not required at the time of application. However‚ if short-listed‚ the India Alliance will seek a detailed justified budget from the applicant prepared in consultation with the host institution.
Eligibility Criteria for Margadarshi Scholarship
- Candidates of all nationalities and origins are eligible to apply if they are pursuing or intend to pursue an academic research career in India
- There is no age limit to apply for this Fellowship
- Applicants would normally be expected to be running an independent laboratory for 10 years or more‚ and have a strong scientific record
Clinicians and public-health researchers, with equivalent qualifications and experience, are also eligible to apply.
The following attributes would be expected of eligible candidates
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership skills and must have made significant contributions in research.
- Applicants must have mentored young scientists and students; attracted extra mural funds from peer-reviewed competitive sources; established collaborations; and successfully initiated programs of advanced scientific research.
- Applicants must be sponsored by the Host Institution and the intended program must be conceived in consultation with and under the supervision of the sponsor(s).
- Complete application includes Joint Concept note by applicant and sponsor(s), applicant form, sponsorship form(s), and consent form by Sponsor(s). Complete application must be submitted before deadline.
How to apply for Margadarshi Scholarship
Candidates should download the application form from www.wellcomedbt.org and email a PDF copy of the complete form to email@example.com.
Applicants are encouraged to contact India Alliance at firstname.lastname@example.org‚ with their CV and details of the plans‚ to be advised of their suitability for the Fellowship.
To apply‚ the Sponsors and the Applicant should submit a Joint Application
The applicant and the Sponsor submit their respective Sponsor forms individually. The Sponsor has to complete and email the Sponsorship Form to email@example.com.
Please note that the Sponsor form has to be filled in by the Sponsor and not by the applicant. A breach of confidentiality on this matter will disqualify the applicant.
Those applications found suitable by the Margdarshi Selection Committee will be short-listed for further consideration.
If short-listed, the India Alliance will inform the applicants and seek a detailed justified budget from the applicant, prepared in consultation with the Sponsor.
Applications of short-listed candidates will be sent out for an international peer review to experts in the broad area of the applicant’s field of research. Applications of shortlisted candidates will be subjected to international peer review.
Note: Applicants may inform us of names of reviewers with potential conflict of interests. However, the choice of reviewers will rest with the Office and will not be disclosed to the applicant. Also, reviewer comments will not be shared with the applicant at any stage of the application.
All the applicants shortlisted for interview will be invited to an interview with the Margdarshi Selection Committee which will be the final decision-making body on an award.
Fellowships must be started within one year of award.
Note: Applicants are reminded that this is a competition and the India Alliance’s decision will be final. Applicants are not allowed to write directly to Margdarshi Selection Committee members. The Office withholds the right to disqualify an applicant who has breached this condition.
Margadarshi Scholarship Contact
(Dept. of Biotechnology‚ Ministry of Science & Technology)
Biomedical Research Fellowship Programme for India
H.No 8-2-684/3/K/19‚ 1st Floor‚ Kaushik
Society Road No. 12‚ Banjara Hills
India 500 034
Phones: 91 040 4018 9445 / 6 / 7
Fax: 91 040 4018 9449