Germany-based Marga-Schulze Scholarship Foundation is assisting blind girls in Africa and Asia to pursue higher education through a merit scholarship scheme. Started in 1996 by Dr. Hans-Eugen Schulze, himself a visually impaired person and a retired judge of the Federal Court of Germany, the Marga Schulze Foundation routes assistance through CBM, a leading international organization committed to the cause of services for persons with disabilities for over a 100 years. The German NGO has been supportive of AICB for over a decade. Every year, the German Embassy chairs the selection committee for the initial screening and selection of the candidates.
- B.Ed & Any PG Course
- UG & PG
- Germany-based Marga Schulze Foundation
- Blind girls in Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Diu & Daman, Karnataka, Kerala, Lakshadweep, Maharashtra and Pondicherry
In India, the scheme is implemented by two organisations, the All India Confederation of the Blind (AICB) and UDIS Forum since 2000-2001. AICB in Delhi covers Northern, Eastern, North-Eastern and Central States in India while UDIS Forum in Coimbatore cover the States of Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Diu & Daman, Karnataka, Kerala, Lakshadweep, Maharashtra and Pondicherry.
The scheme provides a merit scholarship for students under going graduate, B.Ed. and post-graduate courses. The scholarship would fund three years of the students education covering of tuition and accommodation expenses. More than 150 girls with visual impairment were availing of the scholarship in the country. The scheme provides merit scholarship of Rs.12,000 – 18,000/- for students undergoing Graduates and B.Ed and Post Graduates.
The students who were selected for the scholarship would also be given training in personality development, interview and communication skills, and also leadership by a network formed recently by people with disabilities, their parents, non-Governmental organizations and professionals in Coimbatore. The network would also follow up the performance of the students in the colleges they studied.
Marga-Schulze Scholarship Eligibility
- Graduation level
The students must have secured at least 60% marks at the plus 2 / junior college
- B.Ed. and Post-Graduate Courses
At least 55% marks in the qualifying examinations
How to Apply for Marga-Schulze Scholarship
The general guidelines of the Scheme are as follows :
1. The students can contact the UDIS forum or All India Confederation of the Blind for any guidance regarding courses to be selected, colleges in the vicinity etc., if needed.
2. The students, after getting admission in the colleges of their choices, should write to the UDIS forum/ All India Confederation of the Blind for an application for the scholarship.
3. The application form can also be downloaded from the website www.davo.in and www.aicb.org.in
4. The filled in application, with the recommendation of the Principal of the College where the student is admitted should be sent to the Administrative Office of the UDIS forum/ All India Confederation of the Blind latest by 30 August of the academic year. Applications sent without the signature of the Principal of the college concerned will be considered in complete.
5. The students may, if necessary, be called for an interview in a centrally located place for selection to award scholarship. Besides scrutinizing certificates, the reading and writing skills, orientation and mobility and communication skills will also be tested for awarding scholarship.
6. The number of scholarships to be given every year will be decided on the basis of available resources.
7.Within one month from the date of selection for the scholarship, 60% of the scholarship amount will be released in favour of the student through a cheque/ demand draft, for warded to the Principal of the concerned college. Therefore, the students should open a bank account. The remaining 40% will be released during the second half of the academic year.
8.The students are free to stay in hostels not attached to the College. However, these hostels should be either run by organisations of /for the disabled or those, which are safe and also provide assistance to persons with blindness.
9. The student should show at least 55% academic performance and more than 80% attendance record every year for the continuation of the scholarship. The progress of the student should be intimated to UDIS Forum / All India Confederation of the Blind each year in the prescribed format through the Principal of the concerned college. Scholarship will be discontinued in case the student is not showing the desired academic performance and attendance.
10. The UDIS Forum / All India Confederation of the Blind representatives will visit the college from time-to-time to discuss with the authorities concerned to enquire about the progress of the students. Parents will also be contacted regularly.
11. The students will be invited from time-to time, especially during vacation, for skills development programmes such as training in information and communication technology, communication skills, use of assistive devices, etc.
12. The students are encouraged to take part in co-curricular activities of the college too. Awards and prizes when won by the student concerned may be informed to the UDIS Forum / All India Confederation of the Blind for documentation purposes.
The CBM, the Marga Schulze Foundation, the UDIS Forum and All India Confederation of the Blind hope that more and more girls with visual impairment will avail of this scholarship scheme and become future voices of persons with disabilities in general and persons with visual impairment in particular.
Marga-Schulze Scholarship Contact
UDIS Forum Administrative Office
111, Sree Lakshmi Towers, Opp. Saibaba Koil, Mettupalayam Road, Coimbatore – 641 043
Tamil Nadu, INDIA
Phone : 0422-2433827, Mobile : 91-94426-07572
All India Confederation of the Blind (AICB)
Sector 5, Rohini, Delhi – 110 085
Phone : 011- 27054082 / 011-27050915
Mobile : 098106 84208